Tuesday, July 24, 2007
Ah Crap!
Last week marked my 26th week of pregnancy. So guess what that means? Time to screen for gestational diabetes. Where you go in and they make you drink this God awful sugar water. Then you wait in a waiting room full of people ( for an hour) who just cant seem to get a handle on their children. That or they just really don't care. And then at the end of the rainbow comes a needle where they draw your blood. Well I got my results back from that screening and they decided that my sugar level was a little too high for them. So guess what that means. I actually have to go in and be tested for gestational diabetes. So they have me come in the next morning after a night of fasting. No water or food what so ever from midnight. Now we all know how cranky I get when I don't get to eat. Let alone me being pregnant. Come on now! But I go in and first things first. They draw blood before I drink the oh so lovely double dose of sugar ( instead of the 50ML its 100ML) water. The chick kinda hurt me on this draw. Then I drink the shit within the allotted 5 minutes , which makes you want to puke , and then its back out to the waiting room again. Now let me tell you something about this waiting room. It is a tiny room stuffed with 11 chairs. Their is people coming in and out constantly. Then you have a preggo chick getting the same test as me done. Only she brought her husband and two kids. GET A FUCKING CLUE! Send your hubby off with the kids , he is a dad he will do just fine. I can understand bringing your kids if you have no one to watch them ... but it's a three and a half hour process. Why the fuck would you bring your whole family. OK anyway ... So I drink this crap and wait ... long story short... I had to have my blood drawn 4 times that day and on top of that, it was all out of the same arm because being pregnant you get all kinds of skin crap. I got a fungus on my other inner elbow so they couldn't use that arm. So needless to say I looked like a junky for about a week after. My arm was so bruised from the 5 needles( one from the original screening a couple days prior) that were in it. So now it is sit and wait for the results. And would you imagine. I have gestational diabetes. So now I get to prick myself in the finger 4 times a day to test my blood sugar. I am on a stink ass diet which so far leaves me feeling hungry constantly. I am sure that my body will adapt to not eating the three normal meals I was used to having to the 6 meals (or shall we say snacks) that it is now getting. But so far I have kept my blood sugar in the normal range. Lets hope I can continue to do so because I don't want to have to go on insulin.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment